The club committee
The club is managed by a committee consisting of ordinary members elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) each year. Here are details of the current committee members and their positions within our club.
Chairperson: Gail Bowie
Vice Chairperson: Susan Broughton
Treasurer: Susan Broughton
Committee members: John Mortonson, Sonya Lovel, Rebecca Audsley, Val Dennison, Patrick McPhillips, Alwyne Thorpe
- We only collect personal information directly from you, and we ensure we only collect the information that we need.
- We will not sell or pass on your personal information to third parties.
- We will protect your personal information with an appropriate combination of technical and organisational measures.
- You have rights to see your information, these are detailed later in the document.
- We only retain your information for as long as necessary and no longer than six months after membership ends.
- If you have a query or complaint, please contact the Chairperson or other club officer (details on the website).
What information do we collect about you?
We collect your name, address, telephone number and email address, as written by you when you fill in your membership request or renewal form. The date that you renew is also recorded.
We may collect personal data, such as address, phone no. and email address directly from you if you purchase artwork from us or request club information.
Why we use the information about you
We collect your personal information to provide you with a fulfilling membership of the club. Your address is used to mail you with invitations to enter the exhibition, the painting challenge day, and renewal forms, and occasional other news or events that we consider may be of interest to you. If you have provided us with an email address, we will use this to contact you with club newsletters and any changes or updates to club activities, and your phone number only in event of last minute cancellations to club activities. We do not mail you with commercial or marketing information.
Our use of the above personal information comes under ‘legitimate interests’ of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UKGDPR) of May 2023, which allows for use for administrative purposes and the running of the club.
An opt-in box on your next and subsequent renewal forms allows you to choose to give us your phone and email. Anyone, at any time, can ask for these permissions to be removed by contacting the Chairperson.
Information that we share
We do not share personal information with any other organisations or persons.
We always endeavour to hold your data safely and confidentially. It is only available to the officers of the club and to each of you as individuals.
Our website is run by the website manager. We only use essential cookies as required by legislation.
Contact with the club can be made through the contact page, where any entered queries are passed directly on to a member of the committee for action. Data given via the contact page is held for as long as the enquiry is active, then deleted and not stored.
Some members and professionals have asked that their website addresses be visible on the club website, but no information is added without the permission and request of those individuals.
Access to your information and correction
You have a right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. We will provide you with this information within one month of receiving your request and verifying your identity.
You also have a right to contact us if you believe your personal information is incorrect, you need to update the information, or you believe we are no longer entitled to use your personal data. If you have any queries, please contact the Chairperson. Contact can be made via the website contact page, by phone or by email.
Retaining your data
VOPAC and the information we collect about you, are subject to various regulatory and UKGDPR legislative requirements. We will endeavour not to keep your data for longer than we have to. This usually means for the club year, plus a small overlap to allow for all renewals to come in, no longer than 18 months.
We work hard to ensure that your personal information is treated safely and securely. However, if you have a complaint about your data and how it is used and stored, you can use the contact page on the website, phone the Chairperson or speak to a committee member at one of the demonstration evenings.
You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (https:///www.ico.org.uk).
Last updated May 2023, VOPAC committee
AIM – TO FOSTER A LOVE AND APPRECIATION OF ART
- Ordinary membership shall be open to all those interested in art living in the Vale of Pickering.
- Those living outside this area who have a strong attachment to this area may be admitted to membership at the discretion of the committee.
- Subscriptions shall be set out by the committee and become due on the first day of each club year – January 1st.
- To organise monthly meetings consisting of talks and demonstrations.
- To organise an annual exhibition of members’ work. Other exhibitions, possibly open, may be held at the discretion of the committee.
- To organise at least two weekend workshops a year.
- To organise any other activity as requested by members, which in the opinion of the committee furthers the aims of the club, such as monthly practical sessions, gallery trips, museums, and outdoor painting days etc.
- The club shall be managed by a committee consisting of at around 10 ordinary members elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Any member volunteering to serve on the committee at the AGM may be nominated and voted on at the same AGM. However as detailed in (13) below, members can also be co-opted during the year.
- Meetings will normally take place every 2 months.
- Five members of the committee shall form a quorum.
- Should any committee member fail to attend 3 consecutive meetings, that member may lose their place on the committee and be replaced by another member nominated by the committee.
- The committee has the power to co-opt any club member to the committee for backup with their agreement, when the need arises.
- The officers of the club shall be elected by the committee.
- They shall comprise: Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and Membership Secretary.
- No more than two of these posts may be held concurrently by the same person.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- This meeting shall normally be held between December and the following February
- All members, both ordinary and honorary are eligible to attend and vote.
- Notice of the meeting is given on the annual membership information. Further notice will be given a month before the planned meeting.
- The quorum for the meeting is 20 members with proxies accepted.
- Items for the agenda shall be given to the Secretary at least 3 weeks before the AGM.
- All honorary members and those members who have paid their annual subscriptions are entitled to submit work for display.
- Visitors are welcome to participate in all the activities of the club apart from the annual exhibition. Members will be given priority on workshops and trips.
- An appropriate fee, determined by the committee or event organiser, will be charged.
- The club accepts no liability whatsoever for the loss or damage to any work submitted for exhibition or criticism.
CHANGE OF RULES
- Changes to these rules can only be formalised at the AGM of the club.
- Three weeks’ notice of such a special resolution must be given to members.
- The resolution for the change must be given by at least two thirds of those attending the AGM.
Updated May 2023